If you notice your dog limping, or struggling to walk or play, it’s crucial you get them checked out by a vet who will be able to diagnose their condition.
They will likely take an X-ray to identify the extent of the problem. It may also be recommended that you purchase them a car ramp.
What is the Best Dog Ramp for a Car?
From our extensive research, we’ve determined that the Alpha Paw Car Ramp for Large and Small Dogs is the best dog car ramp out there. It’s strong, durable, easy to clean, and suitable for dogs of all sizes.
If your dog has developed some mobility issues, you should take some steps to make moving around easier for them. If you take them in a car, they might be struggling to jump in and out.
Thankfully, there are lots of car ramps on the market to help your furry friend get in and out of the car without pain. Let’s look at some of the best ones and their features.
This strong and sturdy ramp is at the higher end of the price range but ideal for bigger dogs and is made from super strong plastic. It’s easy to carry at 9.9lbs and has scratch resistant material. It can be used for the car as well as boats and pools.
The surface has a non-slip coating for secure transition. The sides of the ramp raise up providing extra security. The material is easily cleaned, so no problem after a muddy woodland walk. The ramp can hold most dog breeds and is available in several sizes, easily holding dogs up to 200lbs.
Reviews for this ramp are good with many commenting on its stability and usefulness for large dogs, saving backbreaking lifting.
- Easy to clean
- Suitable for all sizes
- STURDY AND DURABLE: The Alpha Paw Car Ramp is made from heavy-duty strong plastic, and is lightweight and scratch/wear-resistant. This pet ramp allows your furry friends to safely enjoy getting out of the car, boat, or pool.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE: Weighing in at 9.9 lbs, the Alpha Paw Car Ramp is easy to carry in and out of the car between stops when traveling. Bring your furry best friend with you on your next camping trip without any hassle! Dimensions: 60” x 14” x 5.”
- NON-SLIP SURFACE: The skid-resistant surface ensures optimal traction, and will help you feel secure when transporting your furry pal.
- RAISED SIDES: Both sides of the ramp are raised in order to further enhance safety. Polished sleekly and smoothly, the raised sides are pet-friendly. This dog accessory can be cleaned with soap and water.
- ACCOMMODATES MOST DOG SIZES: This folding ramp is ideal for small, medium, or large dogs up to 200 lbs. From puppies to seniors, our car ramp is a convenient way for your pet to access vehicles, furniture, grooming tables, and more without any stress on the joints.
This stair shaped ramp is perfectly transportable. Fully foldable, the ramps close easily meaning you’re also able to adjust the height depending on your dog’s needs.
The material is non-toxic and fully pet friendly, designed to last. The rubber grips ensure your pet won’t slip, whatever their size. It also comes equipped with a safety fastener that attaches to the tailgate of the car for extra security. The ramp is easy to clean, requiring just a small amount of soap and water.
The ramps are affordable at $53.99, cheaper than the previous option. The ramp is designed to help limit the pet’s knee movement and reduce discomfort, and is also suitable for dogs with shorter legs.
Reviews are mixed, with many commenting on its sturdy feel with concern over some fixtures not securing properly. There were also some comments on the ramp being too narrow for bigger dogs.
- ► FOLDABLE - The Zone Tech pet stairs is easy to use. The stairs open and closes like an accordion. With this feature, you can easily adjust the height of your ramp to accommodate to your pet's comfort.
- ► PREMIUM QUALITY - The Zone Tech pet stairs is made with premium quality enviroment pet friendly materials to ensure maximum strength and durability for long lasting usage.
- ► ANTI-SLIP - The Zone Tech pet stairs is equipped with anti slip rubber grips to keep your pets, especially large one very steady. With built-in safety fastener to latch on tailgate will also provide extra assurance.
- ► PORTABLE - The Zone Tech pet stairs is portable. It can be folded in to a 10lb-carry-on size. Truly convenient for you and your pet to travel with.
- ► EASY TO CLEAN - The Zone Tech pet stairs is easy to maintain. Simply wipe the stairs with wet and soapy towel, or you can also hose it clean. and then wipe it clean dry towel after.
The cheapest ramp so far, the BreeRainz supports dog sizes up to 165lbs. It benefits from non-slip surface and raised sides, as well as rubber feet and locking buckles. It’s rustproof with a solid aluminum connector.
The ramp is easy to fold and store with a locking safety latch. It weighs only 11lb, meaning it’s super easy to carry and won’t put strain on the back when carrying. A great choice if you regularly travel with your canine friend.
Reviews are mixed, with some saying the anti slip feature doesn’t work effectively.
- Can be slippery
- 🐶Heavy Duty Ramp - Our dog car ramp for large dogs gives a great performance on its load. It is independently tested and rated to support weights up to 165 lbs.
- 🐶Non-slip Surface - The non-slip surface paired with raised side rails provides your pets with optimal traction and secure footing when walking up or down.
- 🐶Super Sturdy - Equipped with 4 rubber feet and a set of buckles to lock every part, this dog ramp for cars can keep stable and safe while in use. Besides, the connector is made of aluminum in case of rust.
- 🐶Easy to Store - This dog ramp for suv can be easily folded and locked with the safety latch to let you conveniently store it occupying less space in your vehicle.
- 🐶Ultralight Ramp - Weighing only 11 pounds makes our dog car ramp easy to carry and lift in and out of the car between stops. A very nice choice for travel with your pets.
This mini ramp option is ideal for smaller or medium size dogs. Super easy to handle and benefits form a very soft surface that’s comfortable for sensitive pet paws.
The ramp is sturdy with rubber grips at the bottom for stability. The ramp can be used for all car types including vans and SUVs.
The removable tread means the ramps are easy to clean. In addition, the ramp folds in half and has an integrated carry handle for easy transportation.
Reviews are positive and many buyers comment on the high quality of the ramp. Some comment on its heaviness and isn’t ideal if suffering from any sort of back problems.
- Soft surface
- Removable tread
- Rubber grips
- Can be heavy for some
- SupertraX tread is soft, protecting pets paws and also provides sure-footing and is removable for easy cleaning.
- Easy fold for compact storage. Built in handle for portability
- Rubber grippers on bottom help keep ramp steady
- Ramp Measures: 42"L x 16"W x 4” Capacity: 200 pounds. Ramp Weights 12lbs
- This item is suitable for use with SUVs and vans.
The Downtown ramp is perfect for any size dog and has a hinge that is strong and can take weight up to 150lbs. It’s made from reinforced plastic and is built to last.
The ramp folds easily and has a convenient carry handle. Furthermore, it has a lock that ensures it stays compact when not in use.
The ramp benefits from a grass turf that encourages pets to walk on it, especially useful for fussy dogs that get nervous walking on unfamiliar surfaces. It also offers horizontal rubber grips for those that prefer a non grass surface.
The raised rails and non-slip feet offer the ultimate in safety and are ideal for any vehicle type.
Reviews are mixed for this product. Many positive comments relate to the size of the ramp being good for tall vehicles and smaller dogs learning to use the ramp swiftly. Most negative reviews are around the difficulty getting a replacement for products that were broken or had missing parts.
- Grass surface
- Compact and portable
- Can be slippery
- Dog Car Ramp: Made with premium reinforced plastic material, our car and trailer ramp will support over 150 lbs of weight, fiting almost any dog: small, medium and large
- Easy To Store: Folds to 31.5in x 7.5in x 16in with ergonomic carrying handles and a lock mechanism to keep it safely folded - just store it in your car's trunk or under the car seat until you need it
- Outdoor Dog Ramp: Our pet ramp for car is covered with the beautiful, thick artificial grass turf to which claws, paws and shoes will grip tightly
- Dimensions: With a 62in length, this portable ramp is long enough to fit any standard vehicle while maintaining a reasonable angle for your pet to walk up. 16in width gives your pet plenty of room
- Pet Supplies for Furry Friends: We are pet owners first and business owners second, making our own products and standing behind them
This super cheap ramp at under $40 is made of tough plastic and is easy to clean. It can be used indoors or for getting in and out of the car.
Side ramps protect your dog from falling sideways, ideal if they have mobility and balance problems. The ramp contains non-slip foam pads to avoid damage to inside floors.
Collapsible and foldable, the ramp is easy to store in the house or car.
Reviews are mostly good, with many buyers saying the steps aren’t great for bigger dogs.
- Easy to clean
- Easy to store
- Not suitable for very big dogs
- 4-STEP DOG STAIRS - The convenient 4-step design of these pet stairs helps your dog or cat get where they are going, whether you need a dog bed ramp or a way for your furry friend to get into and out of your vehicle with ease.
- DURABLE AND EASY TO CLEAN - Made of tough plastic, these durable pet steps are perfect for small dogs, cats, rabbits, or other small animals. They are ideal for both indoor and outdoor use and can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth and mild soap.
- SAFETY FEATURES - The built-in side rails keep your pet secure while the non-slip foam pads protect your pet and your floors. Adhesive-back felt step covers provide better traction, and the snap lock feature keeps the steps stable when in use.
- EASY TO STORE - When collapsed, these compact foldable pet steps easily fit in your closet, under furniture, or in the trunk of your car—perfect for home or travel.
- PRODUCT DETAILS - Materials: Heavy-Duty Plastic. Dimensions: (L) 23” x (W) 15” x (H) 19”; Folded: (L) 30” x (W) 15” x (H) 5”. Not designed to hold people. Color: Gray.
This mid-price option has been designed for smaller dogs. With only two steps, it helps dogs get in and out of small cars. It’s been created with the ideal step height to protect the dog’s joints.
The steps fold up compactly and can be stored under the bed or boot of the car, occupying only a small space. In addition, the steps weigh only 6.4 pounds, so it’s easy to carry. The frame is made from pine and has been treated to ensure a smooth surface. The ramp is ready to go as soon as it’s unpacked.
The steps also benefit from a carpet surface that helps with the pet’s grip and helps them avoid slipping.
- Perfect for small dogs
- Compact and light
- Carpet surface
- Not for big dogs
- 【2 IN 1 PET STAIRS】Only with 1 step, you can switch our dog stair between pet ramps and pet steps. This can help old or small pets easily get to bed, couch or car! The perfect step height can be well protected pet's joints.
- 【FOLDABLE DOG STEPS】The dog stair adopts a foldable design. When it not be used, you can fold it and against the wall or put it under the sofa, it only takes up a little space. The body weighs only 6.4 pounds, and you can easily carry it out with only one hand. Folded size: 21.7x17.3x3.1 Inch.
- 【SOFT & NON SLIP TREADS】The treads of the pet ladder is made of carpet. The soft and non-slip surface is friendly to pet's paws and can increase the grip. Our dog ramps can help pets safely and comfortably up and down, eliminate fear.
- 【STURDY & STABLE】The frame of dog stair is made of thick pine wood. The surface is specially treated that is smooth, rounded and without barbs. Anti-slip foot pads can increase friction with the ground and improve stability. Maximum weight can be up to 150 pounds.
- 【NO ASSEMBLY NEED】 Ready to use out of the box, no assembly required. Even if there is no manual, you know how to use it! You can expand the product into a ladder shape in just 2 steps. 1. Expand the frame , ensure that the bottom support rod is horizontal. 2. Support the tread and ensure that the white support rod is aligned with the groove!
The Gen7pets ramps are designed with a natural surface, making it a soft and secure way for dogs to get into vars. Even puppies with fragile paws can comfortably use the ramp without injury to paws or slipping.
The ramp is easy to store and can be used indoors or outdoors, and fits snugly into a small space and folds and locks. The soft handles make it easy to carry and take anywhere. The ramp can hold weight up to 200lbs, so is a good choice for small and large dogs.
Reviews are good for this product with buyers commenting on it being easy for dogs to get used to, however some mentioned the difficulty with folding as the ramp is quite heavy.
- Natural surface
- Easy to store
- Good for large dogs
- Quite heavy
- Natural Step Ramp For Vehicles: Designed for safety and great for trucks, SUVs, and Jeeps, this Natural-Step Ramp has durable rubber grippers on both ends of the ramp and a safety tether latch
- Easy On The Go: Your dog will feel safe to walk up and down its 16" wide walking path covered in poly-grass for a better grip; The ramp's lightweight design and soft rubber grip handle makes it easy to transport and carry
- Approved By Best Friends: Gen7Pets full line of products includes pet strollers, carriers, ramps, and steps with smart-features components, stylish-fashion, and simple-functionality for you and your pet
- Best Safety: Through quality, smartly designed products, Gen7Pets seeks to provide solutions that evoke trust, comfort and happiness; Our products make life with your pet just a little easier
- Just For Pets: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, birds, and other furry friends; Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm and Hammer, Booda, Chuckit, and more
The Kurdo ramp has been designed specifically for pets suffering with arthritis, dysplasia and joint problems. Created to reduce stress on joints when entering the ramp, it offers a comfortable and smooth transition into a car.
The ramps weigh only 10lb, so it is easy to move and fold. Very easy to set up, simply open the locking mechanism and place it on the car. The rubber feet should be placed on the floor securely to avoid movement.
Great reviews accompany this ramp, with many happy customers. Most mention how easy it was for their dogs to use, but most mention it being a touch too steep for older dogs.
- Ideal for specific ailments
- Secure locking mechanism
- Quite steep
- LOW-STRESS RAMP: This dog car ramp is designed to be a low-stress entry point for your pets, no matter their age or physical condition. Specifically recommended for pets suffering from old-age, arthritis and hip dysplasia.
- DURABLE LIGHTweight DESIGN: This lightweight 10-pound pet ramp with durable plastic construction enables you to transport and store with ease. The Kurgo Wander Ramp folds in half for space-saving storage.
- NON-SLIP SURFACE: The gentle incline and non-slip surface of dog ramp for car make it easy for your dog to enter any vehicle. The non-slip surface offers sure footing for any old baller
- SIMPLE SETUP: To use the dog ramp, first open the safety lock. Place the ramp for dogs carefully, ensuring the non-slip rubber feet are firmly and evenly planted. After use, fold up the ramp again, ensuring you close the safety lock.
This freestanding ramp has a soft SuperTrax tread that is soft on dog’s paws and easily removed for cleaning.
The ramp doesn’t need placing on vehicles and fully supports itself. The raised sides prevent slipping and are easily foldable. Just like the others, it benefits from rubber feet that provide extra security. The ramp can hold dogs up to 200lb.
- Removable surface
- Good for large dogs
- SupertraX tread is soft, protecting pets paws and also provides sure-footing and is removable for easy cleaning.
- Patented free-standing design, ramp supports itself, does not need to rest on vehicle or furniture
- Ramp easily folds for compact storage and portability. Raised edges help prevent slipping off the side
- Measures 56-inch L x 16-inch W x 23-inch H, for pets upto 200-pounds
- Please scroll below and read "From the Manufacturer" for exciting features
With such a wide selection of dog ramps on the market, it can be challenging deciding which one is best for your dog, so we’ve put together this guide to give you an idea of what to look for.
The size of the ramp will be largely dependent on both your dog and the car you’ll be using the ramp with. In addition, you need to think about the ailments your pooch is suffering with.
If you buy a shorter ramp, it’s easy to store and more portable but will be steeper so may not be the best choice for dogs with severe mobility issues. A longer ramp will reduce the incline but may be tricky to store when not in use.
If you have a big dog, you should also consider the width of the ramp. A wide ramp will encourage a large dog to walk confidently up it, whilst a smaller one may be challenging for your canine to use. Ideally the incline should be 18-35 degrees.
Most ramps are made of durable material such as plastic, metal, or wood. Plastic ramps are easier to move and handle and ideal for smaller dogs. Metal and wood are highly durable and better for larger dogs, although they can be cumbersome to move.
The surface of the ramp is crucial to avoid any damage or injury to your dog. If a surface is slippery your dog will either refuse to walk on it or struggle to stay upright, risking injury. Be sure to check material details of the product and lookout for any anti – slip properties such as rubber, grass, treated plastic and anti grip tape.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are stairs or ramps better ?
Both options work well for helping your dog get in and out of the car. Stairs tend to be easier for dogs to negotiate, especially if they use stairs in the home.
Stairs can come with storage options underneath and tend to collapse easily. However, ramps can fit into small spaces better and are easy to store in car boots etc.
Will my dog use a ramp easily?
If you have a confident dog it’s unlikely you’ll have trouble getting them to use the ramp, however if he is of a nervous disposition it may take some training before they will embrace the ramp.
It’s advisable to use treats or praise to encourage them to step on the ramp initially. Positive reinforcement usually works well.
Pet ramps are a great investment and can save a lot of pain and discomfort on your precious canine friend.