Humans use knee braces for all sorts of injuries and conditions, but you might not be aware the dogs can also use them too!
There are many reasons why your dog might need a knee brace. Knee braces can really help older dogs who are struggling with arthritis or osteoarthritis but improving their mobility, which significantly increases their quality of life.
What is the Best Dog Knee Brace?
From our extensive research, we’ve determined that the Labra Extra Supportive Dog Canine Rear Leg Hock Joint Wrap is the best dog knee brace out there. It’s highly supportive, comfortable, and is designed to fit any of your dog’s legs.
Knee braces are also really useful for dogs recovering from surgery as it provides the joint with support whilst it is healing. If your dog has suffered a ligament or muscular injury, then wearing a knee brace can provide them with an active recovery which will help them to heal much quicker than with rest alone.
Once you have established that your dog could benefit from a knee brace, you are faced with the challenge of choosing the right one.
There are so many products available that it can be difficult to know which one will meet your dog’s needs and provide the best kind of support. Different knee braces offer different benefits, and some of them do not offer enough stability.
To make your decision easier, we have put together a list of the best knee braces for dogs and provided pros and cons for each product. We have also gathered some information and advice on how to choose the best product for you, and answered some common questions about knee braces. Keep reading to find out more.
This brace is vet approved and can provide support and protection to healing wounds,prevents injury, and assists with sprains and arthritis.
If your dog has arthritis, this brace will help to keep your dog active and mobile. If they have a wound on their leg, this will stop them from licking it.
You will need to measure the circumference of your dog’s leg to ensure that you buy the right size. This brace will fit either leg.
Labra is a company that was started with the goal of bringing mobility to dogs in need. They also care about providing great customer service.
- This brace will fit either leg
- Useful for injuries and arthritis
- Adjustable velcro straps
- Velcro straps are not very durable
- Getting the sizing right can be difficult
- SIZING - PLEASE SEE PHOTOS FOR EXACT SIZE DIMENSIONS - BE SURE TO MEASURE YOUR DOG'S LEG PRIOR TO PLACING YOUR ORDER
- HOCK BRACE - Please note this is a hock brace, not a knee brace. It will not fit on your dog's knee.
- VET APPROVED - Our brace meets and exceeds the high expectations of certified veterinarians
- JOINT CARE - Arthritis limits your dog’s mobility. Keep your dog active with the Labra hock brace
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you or your dog are unsatisfied with this brace for ANY reason, just let us know and we'll make it right.
This knee brace is a great way to help your dog recover from a knee injury, or recovery from knee surgery. When attached to the accompanying chest harness (sold separately) it provides unparalleled support to the knee joint.
The design is rigid yet hinged, for a great combination of support and mobility. Your dog will recover quicker if they are able to keep moving, and this brace will allow them to do that.
The hinged support system is sewn into the brace itself, so your dog won’t feel the metal through the fabric. All of the straps are adjustable so you can get a nice comfy fit for your dog.
- Extra supportive
- Enables active recovery
- Built in hinge system
- You have to buy the chest harness separately
- The number of straps make it quite fiddly to get the brace on
- SIZING - PLEASE SEE PHOTOS SECTION FOR BRACE DIMENSIONS BY SIZE - TO DETERMINE THE LEG (LEFT OR RIGHT) PLEASE FACE THE SAME DIRECTION AS YOUR DOG, NOT FACING YOUR DOG - *NOTE* THESE BRACES ARE NOT APPROPRIATE FOR SMALL BREEDS
- CHEST HARNESS NOT INCLUDED - Your dog must have a properly fitting chest harness for this brace to be effective
- HEAL NATURALLY - Surgery is NOT the only option when your dog has suffered a knee injury. Our braces are made to provide maximum support while allowing for an active injury recovery process.
- POST-SURGERY REHAB - If you choose the surgical route, our braces are an excellent option for post-op knee support and stabilization during the rehab process.
- PATENT PENDING - This knee brace was designed from the ground up to be the most effective and most comfortable canine knee brace on the market. Our Patent Pending design is truly one of a kind.
The In hand dog brace will provide your dog with great support for their leg, as well as providing protection for wounds. If your dog suffers from arthritis then this brace will give them the support they need to stay mobile.
The velcro straps allow you to get a comfortable and snug fit for your dog, whilst the metal springs provide stability. The neoprene material is comfortable against your dog’s skin, and provides compression without irritation.
It has a cushioned lining for ultimate softness, and is water resistant so you don’t have to worry about it getting wet. The velcro straps have reflective strips to aid with visibility when your dog is wearing the brace for their early morning or late night walk.
- Provides support and protection
- Adjustable velcro straps provide a comfortable fit
- Comfortable material and cushioned padding
- Water resistant
- Reflective strips for visibility
- The sizing runs a bit big
- USEFUL FOR DOGS HEAL: The professional dog rear leg hock brace can prevent licking wounds, relieve your dog's joint pain and effectively protect wounds. It is ideal for both injury prevention and recovery.
- STRONG SUPPORT & SAFE: There are two metal spring strips in our hock brace that they provide more strong support for your dog. In addition, the four attached Velcro strips are more solid, stable and it will not slide down or drop.
- STRONG STABILITY: Dog Leg Joint Wraps helps with loss of stability caused by Arthritis, provide support and stabilization during the injury. It makes sure the dog's body balance and stability so that the dog doesn't get into any more injuries of joints.
- COMFORTABLE & SOFT CARE: The dog leg hock braces is a neoprene compression brace which provides stability and support to the rear hock joint without compromising flexibility. Shockproof, flexible and soft.
- ATTENTION NOTE: This brace is for hock joint it's not a knee brace. It will help to stabilize the leg for knee injuries. But, it will not provide support to the knee.
The Ortocanis knee brace provides light compression all the way around the leg and knee to support all muscle groups. It can relieve pain caused by ligament injuries, osteoarthritis and other knee problems.
It can ease knee pain by increasing the temperature of the joint and improving blood circulation to expedite the healing process.
The knee brace has an inner layer of soft yet durable nylon, 2 millimeters of water resistant neoprene, and an outer layer of stretchy lycra. It is ideal for dogs with ACL injuries (anterior cruciate ligament), osteoarthritis, meniscus injuries, kneecap issues and tendinitis.
Regular use can also prevent muscular atrophy. You can hand wash this brace in cool water so it is easy to maintain.
- Full leg support
- Eases knee pain
- Improves blood circulation
- Dog breeds with a sloped back will need an additional back strap to keep the brace on and ensure it won’t fall off.
- 360º SUPPORT: the light compression guarantees stability and improves balance among the muscle groups for a full support and avoids injuries from turning into more serious conditions. Look at our VIDEO and measure based on our instructions to select the correct size. You can find the size chart in the images.
- PAIN RELIEF: reduces pain caused by cruciate ligament injuries, osteoarthritis and kneecap problems by increasing the joint's temperature helping to reduce the inflammation.
- FAST RECOVERY: optimal joint temperature increases blood circulation, improves Oxygene delivery, increases performance for a faster recovery.
- VETERINARIAN PREMIUM QUALITY: our knee brace is designed and manufactured to provide superior support and comfort without compromising the dog's mobility. The High Performance Neoprene offers enhanced elasticity for a better adaptation to the dog leg. Some dogs have a fallen hip and the upper belt may slide back and fall off. Check the [Ortocanis knee brace fastening belt pack] to know if your dog might need it.
- NEED A STRONGER SUPPORT? The Ortocanis Knee Brace is made of a 2 mm neoprene and it is totally flexible. Gives a light compression, increases the blood circulation making the recovery process faster. In case you need a more rigid and stronger support, check our "Ortocanis Knee Immobiliser" with two lateral splints. Some dogs have a fallen hip and the upper belt may slide back and fall off. Check the [Ortocanis knee brace fastening belt pack] to know if your dog might need it.
The NeoAlley brace is ideal for dogs with short legs. It provides support for injured legs to aid recovery from issues like torn ligaments, strained muscles and joint pain.
This brace is made from 4 millimeters thick neoprene with a nylon lining, which means it is soft yet durable and will be comfortable against the skin. This product is made of excellent quality materials and is recommended by veterinarians.
The velcro straps have reflective material on them to keep your dog extra safe when you take them for a walk in the dark. The brace is lightweight and breathable and is designed to be ultra comfortable.
- Soft and durable
- Vet recommended
- Adjustable velcro straps
- Reflective material
- The edges of the brace can rub a little bit
- HOCK BRACE for SMALL BREEDS - This is the short version for smaller breeds and dogs with shorter legs. This brace is designed to support Dog's Hock (the lower joint), NOT for dog's KNEE (the upper joint). It does provide support to the entire leg, and thus indirectly benefits dogs with knee issues, such as torn ACL or CCL
- PROPER SIZE is THE KEY - It is very critical to choose the correct size for your dog. Please follow the video and size chart on how to measure and choose the correct size. Combine with NeoAlly Organic Hip and Joint Supplement to achieve the best effect.
- SECURE & SAFE - Each NeoAlly Dog Brace comes with 2 Reflective Velcro Straps that secure the brace around ankle without moving or sliding down, and more importantly provide visibility and safety in the dark
- OPTIMAL SUPPORT - This dog brace is made of 4mm premium quality neoprene and nylon lining, which is soft and durable, does not rub, pinch or hurt skin, and is suitable for longer wear and repeated uses
- VETS RECOMMEND to Use IN PAIR - Vets highly recommend to wear braces on both legs. NeoAlly package contains a pair of top-line dog braces to protect both rear legs
The Walkabout canine knee brace is ideal for senior dogs who need a bit more support, as well as helping with repetitive kneecap dislocation and injuries to the joint, tendons or ligaments.
This compression sleeve is 3 millimeters thick and stabilizes the knee joint. It comes with a suspender that can attach to a chest strap to improve support.
- Additional support for older dogs
- Assists with recovery from knee injuries
- Chest strap has to be purchased separately
- ACL INJURIES support Joint, tendon, ligament instability
- senior dogs, knee instability
- dislocating kneecap (luxating patella)
The Agon Canine Brace will help to stabilize your dog’s leg while they recover from an injury or from surgery. It can help to reduce inflammation and prevent further or future injuries.
The smooth mesh material is breathable and flexible and doesn’t irritate the skin. The nylon lining is durable and the velcro straps enable you to get a snug and comfortable fit for your dog.
The middle of the brace is made from 5 millimeters of neoprene which is spongy but provides compression. It is also a water resistant material. This brace can also provide protection for healing wounds.
- Provides support
- Reduces inflammation
- Soft and breathable
- Difficult to get the sizing right
- Not as durable as other braces
- CIRCUMFERENCE Above Hock Measurement: S: 3.75" ; M: 4.50" ; L: 5.25" ; XL: 6"
- -- How Agon Dog Wrap will help you dog: -- Heal the pain due to injury or surgery Provide support and stabilization during the injury Assist them to loosen the inflammation Save them from future injuries -It is observed that the dog gets its 2nd knee injured soon after the first one. This is due to the imbalance caused by the injury in one leg. The Agon Dog Braces makes sure that the balance of the body is maintained, so the dog doesn’t get into any more injuries of joints.
- WHY IS AGON REAR HOCK BRACE THE BEST FOR YOUR DOG? Agon Dog Brace is made of smooth mesh sheet which is easy to wear, doesn’t hurt the skin, and is easy to wash. The nylon material used in the making are robust and flexible at the same time. The Velcro in the brace is also a great addition to the ease of brace.
- The next time you dog needs a good support, go ahead with Agon Dog Braces as they will never let you down.
- SIZES OF AGON REAR HOCK JOINT DOG BRACE Depending on the breed of the dog, the sizes would vary. Agon provides you with 4 size options which are Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large. Moreover, all the sizes have two starps, which provides the ease to the user and the dog and can help fit the brace perfectly on the knee or body part. To get a perfect size is crucial as it will not loosen and stay tight all long. A perfect size speeds the process of healing for the dog.
The Poveo knee brace comes in various sizes and is perfect for dogs with hip dysplasia It has a silicone patella tracker to keep the patella in place, and a lightweight metallic splint to support the leg.
The splint is angled at a 150 degree angle to match the femoral-tibial angle in order to improve mobility. The splint is removable, and the brace comes with a waist strap and a harness one, as well as a low friction patch and a carry pouch.
The neoprene material is lightweight and breathable and alleviates pressure on the joints. It also helps to correct posture in order to relieve pain.
- Silicone patella tracker
- Angled metallic splint
- Lightweight neoprene
- It can be slippy on long fur
- Surgery is not the only option when your dog has a knee injury. Poveo's knee brace is designed to provide maximum support while helping the active recovery process of injury.
- Optimized for dogs - It contains a lightweight splint which does not strain while wearing. The splint is designed at an optimized angle based on the femoral-tibial angle to help healing.
- For your dog - Abnormal skeletal and muscle posture correction and dog's patella protection. It is designed to relieve stress on stiff
- CHECK THE SIZE - By testing the brace on various breeds of dogs, we have prepared various sizes. Please refer to the size chart image to receive the optimal size. [Current choice size : 3XL-Right/ Top girth : min 8.5, max 13 / Lower girth : min 7, max 10 / Groin height 5.5, Thigh height 8 (inch)]
- Check conformity before purchase - This product is suitable for dogs with a patellar dislocation higher than level 3 or immediately after surgery that includes a Splint. If the dislocation severity is level 1~3, please select the Hinge option from Variation.
The Zerodis hind legs protector supports both back legs at the same time for ultimate stability. It also helps to relieve inflammation and alleviate pressure. The material is soft and elastic for comfortable and flexible movement.
It helps to keep your dog warm, and is water resistant and shock absorptive. This brace is ideal to help your dog regain mobility through an active recovery, and you can remove the splints as needed when their mobility improves. It can also cover wounds to prevent your dog from licking or nibbling.
- Supports both legs
- Soft and flexible
- Water resistant
- You need to use the brace on both legs at the same time.
- 【Buy correctly】When buying this Dog Hind Legs Protector, it is recommended that you first make a selection based on the values of thigh circumference, foot circumference and joint circumference in the picture. In addition, because the support has an adhesive tape, it can adapt to your pet more flexibly. Note: If you want the support to fit more compactly, you can buy a smaller size and adjust it according to your needs. this pet support belt is S code.
- 【Weight recommendation】Regarding the recommended size for the weight of the pet, this may vary depending on the type of pet.So it is best to buy according to the corresponding size of the pet.
- 【Protect Your Pet】 Help to treat the loss of stability caused by arthritis. Assist your dog to relieve inflammation and recover fitness.
- 【Super Supportive】 Provide strong support and stabilization to dog legs during the injury. Remove the strips and continue to brace after your dog regains mobility.
- 【High Quality】 The material feels delicate, soft and elastic. With shockproof, heat preservation, elastic, impermeable to water and air features.
The Salutuya recovery sleeve is made out of styrene butadiene rubber which makes it elastic yet soft. It is shock proof and helps to preserve heat. It has adjustable straps to ensure that you get a good fit for your dog.
This recovery sleeve helps to reduce inflammation, and provides stability to assist with the symptoms of arthritis. It is also brilliant for injury recovery, or recovery after surgery. It can also be used to cover wounds to stop your dog from licking it.
- Flexible soft
- Adjustable for a comfortable fit
- Reduces inflammation
- Provides stability
- You need to use the brace on both legs at the same time
- ❤【Material】The dog's hind leg protector is made of styrene butadiene rubber.Dog knee brace is delicate, soft and elastic.
- ❤【Features】The pet knee pads has the characteristics of shockproof, heat preservation, elasticity.And adjustable dog hind legs protector is mperviousness and airtightness.
- ❤【Help With The Treatment】The pet legs protector can help treat the loss of stability caused by arthritis.
- ❤【Assistance】The dog legs protector can help your dog relieve inflammation and restore health.
- ❤【Cure Pain】The relieve inflammation pet legs protector can heal the pain caused by injury or surgery.Pet knee brace leg support provide support and stability during the injury.
Now that you have more information about the best knee braces for dogs, how do you make sure that you choose the best product for you and your dog? There are a few things you will need to consider.
The first thing to think about is how much of the leg you want covered. Some braces cover just the bottom part of the leg (the hock) to support the knee from underneath.
Others will cover the knee joint itself, but not the rest of the leg. The bigger braces provide support and protection for the whole leg, and even come with a waist strap or chest harness to provide extra stability to the hips.
If your dog has hip dysplasia or arthritis then you might want a brace that supports the whole leg. If they have a knee joint injury or are recovering from surgery to the knee then they might be better off with a smaller brace that focuses on that area.
Another thing to consider is the material that the brace is made out of. Some of them are made from Neoprene which is flexible, soft and water resistant. However, it is not as durable as other materials, so if your dog needs to wear this brace for an extended period of time you might need something a bit tougher.
Or you could get a Neoprene brace with a nylon outer layer. If the brace is going to be used for a recovery period then consider getting one with removable splints, as you can take them out when your dog’s mobility improves and they don’t need as much support.
If your dog has long fur then you may decide to buy a brace with adjustable material straps rather than velcro, to avoid getting their fur trapped in the velcro. There is also a possibility that the brace could slip on the long fur, so you will want to make sure that it is tight enough.
Before you buy your knee brace, check whether there are any additional parts that are sold separately.
There are a few excellent quality braces that we have included on the list that require a separate chest harness to make the most of the full benefits and features of the product. It makes it a more expensive purchase, but it is worth it if it helps your dog become more mobile.
If your dog likes to go in and out of the water, or it’s often raining when you take them for a walk, then you will probably need a water resistant knee brace. If you walk your dog in cold temperatures then you can choose a heat reserving brace that will help to keep the joint warm and prevent pain. They also improve circulation.
There are a lot of different features to consider, but whichever product you choose you will need to buy the correct size. Measure the circumference of your dog’s leg carefully, accounting for any swelling.
If you buy a brace that’s too big then it won’t stay up, but if it’s too tight it could cause pain or affect circulation. If you are deciding between two sizes then go for the larger one and use the straps to make it tighter.
Frequently Asked Questions
How should I introduce my dog to the knee brace?
When your dog first starts wearing a knee brace, you should gradually build up the time so they don’t get too uncomfortable. You should also keep an eye on them for the first few times to make sure they won’t try to chew it off.
How long can I leave the knee brace on my dog for?
If your dog can wear the brace for an hour without any issues, then start to leave it on for longer and longer. Remember to give your dog’s skin time to breathe, or they could develop skin irritation. Please note that your dog does not need to use the brace when they are resting.
How do I get my dog to stay still for me to put the brace on?
The first time your dog wears the brace, it might be difficult to put it on them. They might try to wriggle away. Keep them distracted with belly rubs or a tasty treat.
Why are knee braces so important?
If your dog sustains a knee injury, they are likely to injure the other knee as it tries to overcompensate. The knee brace will provide the injured knee with the support needed to prevent that from happening. It also enables your dog to have an active recovery, and staying mobile will help them to heal much faster.
How do I know if my dog needs a knee brace?
It is best to get the advice of a veterinarian to find out if your dog needs a knee brace or not. They will be able to diagnose the problem and advise whether a knee brace would help.
Which type of knee brace does my dog need?
Ask your vet which kind of knee brace your dog would benefit from most- full leg length or knee joint only etc- and how many hours a day your dog should wear it for.