If your dog has picked up some bad habits on the lead, like pulling, jumping, or lunging, then this can be very distressing.
It makes it much more difficult to walk them, and can cause pain in your muscles as you try to hold them back. One solution to this problem is a head collar. They apply gentle pressure to your dog’s nose to discourage them from pulling, and are much more humane and safe than choker collars.
What is the Best Dog Head Halter?
From our extensive research, we’ve determined that the PetSafe Gentle Leader Headcollar is the best dog head halter out there. It features a comfortable padded nose loop and allows your dog to move comfortably while still giving you ultimate control.
Finding the Perfect Dog Head Halter
A head halter will help you to get control back so you can guide your dog and train them to improve their behaviour. Some people are put off from head collars because they look like muzzles, but they actually allow for much more free movement than a muzzle.
Your dog will still be able to open and close their mouth when they want to, they will be able to pant and drink water and even play fetch or carry items in their mouth. This means they can still enjoy their walk with you whilst you are correcting their behaviour.
There are many head collars available and narrowing down your search for the right product can be challenging. To make this easier for you, we have put together a list of the best head collars and listed their pros and cons.
We have also provided some advice on how to choose the right head collar to suit your needs, and answered some common questions about head collars. Keep reading to find out more.
The gentle leader headcollar is recommended by veterinarians and dog trainers for discouraging pulling on the lead. It places gentle pressure on pain-free parts of their snout and throat to stop them from pulling. The padded neoprene nose loop redirects the pressure from their throat to the back of their neck so your dog won’t choke or cough.
It gives you more control over your dog during a walk, whilst still allowing them to bark, drink and water and play fetch. The headcollar is really easy to fit with a snap-close neck strap and adjustable nose loop.
This product comes in a variety of sizes based on the weight of your dog, and it also comes in various colors. This is useful if you have two dogs of the same breed or size so you can tell their head collars apart. Petsafe is a global, trustworthy brand who have been designing and producing useful products for over 30 years.
- Padded nose loop
- Easy to fit
- Allows flexible movement
- The clip isn’t as durable as the rest of the head collar
- MOST EFFECTIVE NO-PULL SOLUTION: Designed by a veterinary behaviorist, the Gentle Leader Headcollar is the most effective no-pull solution to help improve walks with your dog
- INTERRUPTS YOUR DOG’S INSTINCT TO PULL: Recommended by vets to interrupt your dog’s natural instinct to pull against pressure
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN: Designed with minimal straps to keep your dog cool and made with durable nylon and a padded neoprene nose loop for ultimate comfort
- EASY TO FIT: Quick-snap neck strap and adjustable nose loop for easy fitting in minutes
- WON’T FIT PETS WITH SHORT SNOUTS: The Gentle Leader won’t fit our furry friends with short snouts like pugs or bulldogs
This headcollar from Halti Is great for improving your dog’s behaviour on the lead. The nose loop is padded with neoprene to keep it in place and to provide your dog with ultimate comfort. The safety strap attaches to the D ring on your dog’s collar for extra security in case the headcollar comes off. The reflective webbing on the sides of the headcollar helps to keep your dog safe when you walk them at night.
This headcollar is made from durable nylon material and comes in three sizes so you can find the right fit to suit the size and weight of your dog. The strap is adjustable to fit your dog’s head snugly. And it closes with a strong clasp to secure it in place. The camlock at the end of the nose strap allows you to adjust the fitting.
Halti provides a training guide with their products so you can easily use them to train your dog out of negative behaviours like pulling on the lead.
- Padded nose loop
- Adjustable fit
- Safety strap
- Reflective webbing
- The plastic camlock is not as durable as other parts of the headcollar
- STOPS PULLING: the Halti Optifit Headcollar prevents pulling on the lead by gently steering and guiding your dog's direction.
- CUSTOMISABLE FIT: the Halti Optifit Headcollar has an adjustable nose band and cheek straps, secured with a camlock, to fit most dogs that do not fit standard sized headcollars.
- KIND & HUMANE: made from strong but lightweight webbing, the Halti Optifit Headcollar is designed for comfort with a padded nose band and won't interfere with panting, eating or drinking.
- REFLECTIVE & SAFE: every Halti Optifit Headcollar has reflective cheek straps for improved visibility in low light and a safety link that attaches to your dog's collar, for complete peace of mind.
- BETTER TOGETHER: to get the best no pull training experience, use the Halti Optifit Headcollar with our double clip Halti Training Lead.
The GoodBoy head halter is the perfect product to help you gently train and guide your dog. It will reduce their urge to pull on the lead without choking them.
It has soft neoprene padding for ultimate comfort, and the safety strap attaches to your dog’s collar at the back of the neck to prevent it dangling in the way at the front. The stitching is designed to be strong, and the head collar is made from very durable nylon. The stitching is reflective so it helps to keep your dog safe during night time walks.
The quick release buckle makes it easy to remove the head collar at the end of the walk. The plastic clip under the chin and the adjustable head strap enables you to get a snug fit.
There are several sizes available, so to make sure you choose the right one you will need to measure the circumference of your dog’s neck and snout. You can rely on the quality of this product and it comes with a 1 year warranty. There are also several colors to choose from.
- Neoprene padding
- Safety strap at the back
- Strong and durable
- Reflective stitching
- Quick release buckle
- Not suitable for short snouted breeds like boxer dogs and bulldogs.
- Prevents pulling – The GoodBoy Head Halter is a comfortable and humane way to prevent your dog from pulling on the leash during walks and other situations that require control. The head halter fits around your dog’s head and nose (similar to a horse’s halter). It is not for use as a muzzle. This prevents choking and reduces your dog’s urge to pull. By using a headcollar like this one, you get maximum steering efficiency. Walking your dog becomes safer and more pleasant for both you and your dog.
- Comfortable and safe – Unlike other headcollars, the GoodBoy Head Halter is designed with soft neoprene and padded for maximum comfort for your pet. It offers a safety strap that attaches to your dog’s regular collar at the back of the neck - no more dangling safety straps. It has durable nylon straps and strong stitching. Our design features additional reflective stitching to help keep dogs of all sizes safe.
- Easily adjustable and secure fit – A quick release buckle and adjustable fit make this quality harness a secure solution to unwanted behavior with your pet’s safety in mind. It provides a plastic clip under the chin to easily adjust the loop for the snout. Adjustable side straps (size 1 does not have adjustable side straps) and an adjustable neck strap make for a better and more secure fit. This ensures that the halter does not slide off easily and makes it easy to put on any dog.
- Choose the right size – To ensure the best fit with our no-pull head halter it’s important to measure the snout and neck circumference at least twice, using the instructions pictured, and choose the smallest result for optimal fit. The sizing chart is in the sixth picture. The halters have adjustable neck straps, side straps and nosebands (size 1 does not have adjustable side straps). The halters do not fit short-snouted breeds like Boxers, Bulldogs and toy dogs like Chihuahuas.
- Warranty – The 1-year warranty helps to find the best fit for your dog. It covers incorrect sizing and chew damage for your added peace of mind.
This head collar gently guides your dog’s head and helps you to control the direction of their movement. It is a great training tool to help you discourage bad behaviours like pulling and lunging.
It comes with a guide to make it clear how you can make the most of this product. The nylon material is very durable and the hardware is made of strong steel alloy. The contrast stitching and reflective webbing will help to keep your dog safe when you walk them in the dark.
The head strap is adjustable so you can make sure your dog is comfortable and the head collar fits snugly. The quick release buckle allows you to remove the head collar easily after a walk. The safety strap gives you extra security in case the head collar does come off. The soft neoprene padding on the nose will be comfortable against your dog’s skin.
- Good training tool
- Durable material
- Reflective material
- Adjustable fit
- Not suitable for extra large breeds
- Stop Pulling - This dog head collar is designed to gently guide the dog's head and then control the dog's direction of movement(similar to a horse’s halter). Head collar can prevent your dog from pulling the leash, reducing the bad behavior of pulling, jumping or lunging. Walking the dog becomes safer and more enjoyable for you and your dogs.
- Durable & Practical - This head collar for dogs is made of thick, durable nylon and heavy duty alloy steel hardware. It comes with an assistive leash that can be attached to the dog collar or leash. Dog head halter's firm stitching and reflective webbing design help to protect your dog's safety.
- Comfortable & Secure - This dog head halter makes your dog feel more comfortable and prevent skin abrasions thanks to the soft neoprene padding on the nose. It relieves pressure on the throat of your dog, prevents the dog from choking or gagging, and allows your dog to bark, pant, eat or drink.
- Easy to Fit - The head collar comes with quick release snap buckle, so you can wear it to your dog in just a few minutes. The length of the strap is adjustable, you can choose the most comfortable length for your dog. This product will also come with a free training guide to help your dog adapt to it.
- Worry-free after Sales - The head collar for dog is not suitable for short-snout dogs. Please measure your dog carefully before ordering. The product description provides a guide for a size selection and wearing steps. If you have any questions about our product, please feel free to consult us.
This head collar comes in three sizes and is adjustable to ensure that it will fit snugly to your dog’s head. It is made from durable nylon material and has padded fabric on the nose loop to keep your dog comfortable.
The safety buckle is strong and will keep the head collar secure on your head. This head collar is a safe and humane way to stop your dog from pulling on the lead. When you check the sizing, make sure it’s not too tight by sliding a finger between the neck strap and your dog’s neck. If you can’t fit your finger in between then it’s too tight.
- Adjustable and choice of sizes
- Durable material
- Safety buckle
- Not suitable for dogs with short snouts
- No clip under the chin
This head collar has a simple but effective design and is easy to fit and use. It will keep your dog comfortable on their walks whilst helping to stop them pulling and lunging.
The head collar allows you to train your dog without restraining them or restricting the movement of their mouth, so they can still breath, pant, drink water and carry a stick or a ball. The nickel plated steel buckle is secure and strong.
The ‘behind the head’ design is different to the ‘under the chin’ fastening on other head collars and prevents the strap from riding up your dog’s snout and putting pressure on their eyes.
It comes highly recommended by veterinarians, trainers and rescue shelters. It puts gentle pressure on the bridge of your dog’s nose to discourage them from pulling. It is ideal for gradual training as you can flick the slip line on and off your dog’s nose as required, turning it back into a regular collar.
- Strong and durable
- Unique behind the head design
- Highly recommended
- It can be difficult to get the sizing right
- EASY TO FIT, SIMPLE TO USE - Does your dog pull you on a walk? Do you feel stressed, frustrated, embarrassed or fear being pulled over? The Canny Collar helps you easily train your dog to walk on a loose leash so that you can safely enjoy your walks.
- TRAINING, NOT RESTRAINING - The Canny Collar is the humane way to train your dog to walk on a simple collar and leash with no pulling. The soft nylon nose loop guides your dog's head by placing a gentle pressure on his nose - no more choking or gagging!
- KIND, SAFE & COMFORTABLE - The Canny Collar is generously padded for comfort, with a single line of material going over your dog’s nose to control his head. This allows him to open his mouth, breathe freely and adjust to the collar more quickly for better comfort.
- HOW TO MEASURE - The Canny Collar fits higher up and more snugly than a regular collar. Measure your dog's neck right behind the ears and use the sizing guide for an accurate fit. If your measurement is exactly between two sizes, we recommend sizing down for the best fit.
- CHOOSING THE RIGHT SIZE - The Canny Collar must fit snugly to be effective. Use the common breeds table as a general guide only, ideally measuring your dog's neck for the most accurate sizing. Size 6 fits dogs with neck sizes 19"-21".
This head collar comes in various sizes and three different colors. It gently controls your dog’s movements and prevents unwanted behaviour like pulling and jumping. It doesn’t choke or gag your dog, and still leaves them with enough free movement to pant, drink water and pick up items in their mouth.
The reflective straps will help to keep your dog safe when you are walking them in the dark. The nylon fabric is durable yet soft to ensure your dog will be comfortable, with additional padding around the nose.
The straps have an adjusting ring to loosen or tighten the head collar, which will ensure a snug fit. The quick release buckle makes it easy to remove the head collar quickly when you get back from your walk.
- Gentle control
- No choking or gagging
- Reflective straps
- Durable yet soft fabric
- Difficult to get the sizing right
- 【 NO MORE PULLING 】：This headcollar can effectively control over dog's every movement and change unwanted behaviors like pulling, barking and jumping without making pain for dogs. By using our Pawaboo head halter, you will feel more free and safer during walking your dog. ( Tips: DO NOT leave it alone with dogs when not in use as they may chew through it.)
- 【 ALLOWS STRESS-FREE OF MOVEMENT 】： No choking no coughing. It is designed to let your dogs pant, eat, drink and play anytime while under owner's control with headcollar. Reflective straps can ensure your dog’s safety all the time even at night walking or training.
- 【 ADJUSTABLE & EASY TO USE 】：There are detailed steps mentioned in the figure 3 to teach you how to wear our muzzle. This headcollar is comfortable to wear made of soft and durable nylon. A quick release buckle and adjustable clip allow you easily adjust your dog's neck and snout. ( Tips: For the most suitable width, please reserve space for one finger both on the neck strap and nose strap. )
- 【 TWO SIZES AVAILABLE 】：S SIZE recommended for dogs with 30-50LB/ 14-23KG; M SIZE for dogs with 50-88LB/ 23-40KG. We highly recommend measuring your dogs' snout and neck circumference and check the size chart(fig.2) carefully before you purchase. (Tips: When between sizes always choose the smaller one; NOT fit for short snout dogs.)
- 【 NOTE 】：Our customers' shopping and using experience is priority. If there is any problem, do not hesitate to contact us.
This nylon headcollar with a soft, neoprene padded nose strap will help you to train your dog to stop pulling. It is made from durable material with heavy duty metal fastenings so is suitable for strong dogs.
There are several sizes to choose from so you make sure you choose one that suits the size and weight of your dog. It allows your dog enough freedom of movement to pant and drink water and carry items in their mouth, so they can still enjoy their walk to the fullest.
- Durable and strong
- Neoprene padding
- Several sizes available
- The plastic buckle isn’t as durable as the other parts of the head collar
- SNOUT CIRCUMFERENCE SHOULD BE MEASURED 1"-1.5” FROM THE TIP OF THE NOSE. IF IN DOUBT PLEASE SELECT SMALLER SIZE. Available in 6 sizes.
- Please use Sizing Chart for Size Reference, Snout and Neck circumference, and Loop size. For size Medium the Loop size is 7"-12", designed for snout circumference 8.25"-10.25".
- Nose strap layered with soft neoprene for added comfort.
- Made of soft strong high quality 3/4" wide nylon.
- Easy to use well designed durable head collar provides control to stop pulling, jumping, lunging. Allows freedom to pant and yawn.
The Charmsong head collar helps you to gently guide your dog’s direction and discourage them from pulling and lunging, without choking them. The nose loop is padded to ensure that your dog is comfortable. The straps are made from durable nylon fabric with sturdy stitching.
The stitching is made from reflective material. Unlike other head collars, the safety buckle is made from metal rather than plastic which makes it very strong. There is an additional safety strap just in case the head collar comes off.
- Very durable
- Reflective stitching
- Metal safety buckle
- Additional safety strap
- The padding is not as soft as some other head collars
This head collar comes in various sizes and a choice of three colors. It is made from durable nylon fabric with soft padding around the nose. The straps are adjustable to ensure that the head collar will fit snugly to your dog’s head. Your dog will still have enough flexible movement to pant and drink water, so they can still enjoy their time outside.
The luminous stitching will reflect the light and help your dog to remain visible when you walk them at night, which will help to keep them safe. You can use this head collar to correct your dog’s negative behaviours like pulling and lunging. You will be able to guide your dog’s direction without causing them any pain.
- Soft padding
- Reflective stitching
- The material is quite stiff
- DESIGN HIGHLIGHTS: There are 2 seams of luminous reflective threading that spans the length of the strap. Keeps your dog visible and safe on early-morning or late-evening.
- SUPERIORITY: Our dog head collar is made of strong and durable nylon. Comfortable and soft padding prevents skin abrasions. Adjustable nylon strap allows dogs to breathe and drink easily.
- MULTIFUCTION: The round metal ring can be connected to other dog leash. It is practical, durable and easy to go out with your dog. Available in 3 sizes and 3 colors.
- PREVENTS PULLING: This dog head collar is a comfortable and humane way to prevent dog from pulling during walks and other situations that require control. By using this dog head collar, you can get maximum steering efficiency.
- NOTE: We recommend that please measure your dog's snout before purchase, you can find our size chart in images and descriptions!
Now that you have the information you need about the best dog head collars available, you will need to choose which product is going to be best for you and your dog. There are several things you will need to consider.
The first thing to decide is whether you want the head collar to fasten under the chin or behind the head. The head collars that fasten under the chin are based on the design of the equipment used to lead horses, and this is the most common type.
The head collars that fasten behind the head are a more innovative design which aims to suit the walking position rather than the traditional riding and leading positions used for horses.Both styles of headcollar have been recommended by veterinarians and dog trainers.
The other thing you will need to think about is how strong your dog is. If your dog is a large breed that pulls hard, then you will want the head collar to be as durable as possible. Having a metal safety buckle will make the head collar more likely to stand up to your strong dog. Make sure you measure your dog’s head and snout to make sure you buy the right size, or you risk them being about to slip out of the head collar.
If you walk your dog in the dark quite often, late at night or early in the morning, it is a good idea to get a head collar with reflective material to keep them extra safe. Some other useful features to look out for are adjustable straps and a clasp under the chin to keep the nose loop in place.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do head collars really work?
If your dog has developed some bad habits like pulling on the lead, and it is making your walks difficult, then you can use a head collar to correct this behaviour. You will need to combine the headcollar with the right training to fix the issue.
Can I use a head collar on my puppy?
Head collars are considered to be a corrective device rather than something you use to train a puppy. It is better to train your puppy to walk nicely on the lead without pulling or lunging, which should prevent you from needing to use a head collar.
How long will my dog need a head collar for?
The head collar is not supposed to be a permanent solution, but a tool to help you train your dog out of those bad habits. It will take time, patience and consistency, but over time you should be able to use the head collar less and less.
How do I train my dog to stop pulling using the head collar?
Start by controlling their pace and teaching them the ‘heel’ position, until they respond to that command. The head collar will reduce their urge to pull on the lead. Praise them when they are walking correctly next to you, and use a firm ‘no’ when they are still trying to pull.